SALES MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP TOPICS
The Heavy Hitter Sales Management Workshop is an interactive learning session specifically designed for senior sales managers. Although novice sales managers will benefit greatly by attending, the workshop goals are to reinvigorate established sales leaders with new concepts of human behavior and synchronize sales management’s role in driving account strategy to the field.
Steve Martin serves as leader, educator, and facilitator for this workshop. The workshop includes extensive individual and group exercises along with brainstorming on your toughest sales obstacles and day-to-day management challenges. The session focuses on understanding the best sales organization practices based upon review of extensive sales organization research, sales leadership (managing “down” to the team) and refining sales strategy (managing “out” to the customer) and the sharing of management best practices from the world’s greatest sales organizations.
Sales Management Research
Steve is noted sales effectiveness researcher who has conducted studies on sales organization best practices, key sales leadership attributes, and top salesperson performance. The sales management workshop is a custom training session that incorporates the latest sales research.
- The Sales Organization Performance Gap - The Key Attributes and Metrics that Separate High-Performing Sales Organizations from Average and Underperforming Sales Organizations
2. A Comparison of High-Performing and Underperforming Sales Managers - The Key Attributes and Metrics that Separate High-Performing and Underperforming Sales Managers
3. Key Success Factors and Differences Between Excellent and Average Sales Organizations - Seven hundred and eighty-six sales professionals participated in this sales performance study. Twenty-five percent of study participants indicated they worked at an excellent sales organization, 45 percent at above average, 25 percent at average and 5 percent at below average sales organizations. .
4. How Compensation Impacts Organizational Performance - Study participants were asked to categorize their company’s compensation compared to other companies within their industry. Each category of compensation was then analyzed from a number of different perspectives to determine the impact of compensation on sales organization performance.
5. A Comparison of High-Performing and Underperforming Salespeople - The primary goal of this study of four-hundred salespeople was to reveal the key attributes that influence individual sales success.
6. A Comparison of High-Performing and Underperforming Inside Salespeople - This study reveals key individual and organizational attributes that determine inside sales success.
7. The Persona of Top Salespeople - The first-of-its-kind sales research on the attributes, attitudes, and actions of top salespeople.
8. The Art and Science of Sales Forecasting - How key sales leaders become high performing accurate sales forecasters. How companies effectively utilize sales forecasting information to increase overall organizational performance
Sales Organization Strategy and Structure
Sales Organization Challenges
Product Sales Complexity Impacts Organizational Structure
Attributes of Great Sales Organizations
Key Sales Organization Metrics
Effective Sales Management Styles at Each Organizational Stage
Sales Management Skills
- The Life of a Sales Manager: Managing Up, Down, and Out
- The Role of Sales Intuition and the Mentor Process
- The Art and Science of Sales Forecasting
- Understanding Your Personality (Testing and Comparison)
- Understanding Your Sales Management Style (Testing and Comparison)
- Assessing and Working with the Selling Styles of your Team
- Hiring the "Right" Salespeople
- Advanced Communication Skills
- Incentive Compensation as a Motivator (Comp plan review optional)
- Challenges and Obstacles Brainstorming
Mentoring Your Team
- Sales Warfare Strategies to Defeat Arch-Rivals
- Creating the Grand Strategy to Win Complex Accounts
- Understanding How the Objective is Organized to Buy
- Coaching Reps on Sales Tactics
- Assessing Intelligence and Accurate Information
- The Psychology of Selling to the C-Level
- The Manager’s Role in the C-Level Sales Cycle
- Structuring the Customer Meeting and Presentation
- Negotiation Strategy and Process Management
Sales Leader Best Practices
- Sales Personnel Skills Evaluation
- Personnel Development Strategy
- Motivational Tips, Techniques
- Risk Pool and Quota Attainment
- Conducting Effective Sales Meetings
- State-of-the-art forecasting strategies, best practices, and key metrics
- The interconnection between product complexity, company lifecycle stage, and accurate forecasting
- Mitigating downside risk and triangulation strategies to determine the truth
- Deal inspection and vetting sales rep forecasts
- The different types of sales forecasters; exaggerators, sandbaggers, and Heavy Hitters
Prior to the workshop, attendees receive copies of Steve Martin’s books along with a suggested reading list. The reading is easy, enjoyable, and intended to help participants prepare for a productive meeting (without being overwhelming).
WORKSHOP PRICE AND TERMS
Steve Martin's sales management workshops are completely customized to your unique sales situation and specific areas of need. To ensure topical relevance, extensive pre-session interviews and background research is conducted to understand your market, competitive position, products, and salespeople. Workshops are customized to address your critical sales challenges and use the terms and nomenclature of your products, company, and industry.
The price of the half-day sales management workshop is $5,000 plus $25 per attendee which includes a copy of Heavy Hitter Sales Linguistics:101 Advanced Sales Call Strategies for Senior Salespeople or Heavy Hitter I.T. Sales Strategy for each student. The price of a full day workshop is $10,000 per day plus $25 per attendee and includes a book for each attendee. All research and preparation time is included in the fees. Minimum fees do apply.
Please note that additional fees may apply depending upon travel requirements and all travel expenses (Steve is based in California) are prepaid in advance. 50% of fees must be paid in advance to lock in your training date and the remaining balance is due 30 days following the session. All fees are non-refundable should your event date cancel. All workshops are taught personally by Steve Martin. Sessions may be rescheduled without penalty depending on Steve’s availability.
SALES EFFECTIVENESS RESEARCH!
THE SALES ORGANIZATION PERFORMANCE STUDY REPORT
What Separates High-performing Sales Organizations from Average and Underperforming Sales Organizations?
The answer to this question Steve W. Martin conducted extensive surveys with top-level sales leaders, midlevel sales managers, and salespeople. The resulting research, The Sales Organization Performance Study Report, provides detailed insights on the characteristics of high-performing sales organizations, quota analysis measurements, and key sales performance metrics.
Seven hundred eighty-six sales professionals participated in the study by completing an extensive forty-two-part survey. The survey goal was to gather both qualitative information about the attributes of high-growth sales organizations and the associated quantifiable performance metrics. Participants were asked to share their opinions on their sales organization, their top sales challenges, and personal details about their own quota performance.
The study results reveal there are fifteen significant differences between how high-, average-, and underperforming sales organizations perceive themselves, measure performance, staff their organizations, and operate.
Learn More About the Sales Organization Gap Report
What Separates High-performing Sales Organizations from Average and Underperforming Sales Organizations?
The answer to this question Steve W. Martin conducted extensive surveys with top-level sales leaders, midlevel sales managers, and salespeople. The resulting research, The Sales Organization Performance Study Report, provides detailed insights on the characteristics of high-performing sales organizations, quota analysis measurements, and key sales performance metrics. Read the Report.
SALES ORGANIZATION STUDY: THE TRENDS THAT ARE CHANGING SALES
What is the Truth About the Migration from Field Salespeople to Inside Sales?
What Strategies are Sales Leaders Employing to Overcome their Top Sales Challenges?
How Does Sales Cycle Complexity Impact the Structure of the Sales Organization?
What are the Latest Key Sales Performance Metrics?
The answer to these questions are exactly what Steve W. Martin, a well-known sales author and sales organization researcher set out to find. To do so, Martin conducted in-depth interviews and extensive surveys with over one-hundred top sales leaders at leading high technology companies and business services providers. The resulting research, provides detailed insights about the evolutional nature of sales organizations along with key sales performance metrics by sales category (software, cloud, hardware, telecommunications, etc.):
Percent of Sales Organization Achieving Quota
Average Sales Cycle Length and Order Size
Average annual Quota and On-target Earnings
Inside Sales Centralization Statistics
Field Sales Revenue Trends
Over the past two years, forty-six percent of study participants reported a shift from a field sales model to an inside sales model. Twenty-one percent reported a shift from inside sales to a field sales model. More than twice as many study participants reported moving to an inside sales model. WHY?
This landmark study reveals key factors that determine when a sales organization will utilize a field or inside sales model. It provides qualitative information including trends and future predictions along with quantifiable sales organization metrics. Sales leaders share their top sales challenges and future sales strategies to meet the revenue goals. Learn More
Steve W. Martin
Steve W. Martin is the foremost expert on Sales Linguistics and the Human Nature of Complex Enterprise Sales. He is the author of the "Heavy Hitter" Series of books for Senior Salespeople.
Steve Martin will energize, enlighten, and entertain your sales team with real-world sales strategies, proven tactics, and helpful advice delivered with a healthy dose of humor!
Heavy Hitter training is not the typical classroom lecture, it’s a completely interactive workshop. Learn how to penetrate, navigate, and conquer complex enterprise accounts.
What Clients Say!
Learn what "Heavy Hitter" Clients have to say about Steve W. Martin's Sales Kickoff Meeting Keynote Presentations, Top Salesperson Panels, Sales Training Workshops!